Hakone Estate and Gardens
21000 Big Basin Way, Saratoga, CA 95070
Garden Hours Admission
Weekdays 10:00 am - 5:00 pm $8.00 per person*
Weekends 11:00 am - 5:00 pm $6 for seniors (65 +) and students 5-17 with valid ID
Closed only on Christmas Day and New Year's Day Free for children 4 years and under*
* Credit card payment for less than $10 will be charged $1.50 per transaction as a processing fee. Guidelines
- Please stay on the paths and watch your step. The fine gravel covering may hide tree roots, rocks, steps or uneven surfaces.
- Children should be supervised at all times, preferably by at least one adult per five children. Please do not allow children to run around, shout, or kick gravel, so that other visitors can enjoy the tranquility without being disturbed. For young children, please feel free to use Children's Handout material.
- Please do not throw any objects, including coins, into the Koi pond, The delicate fish and turtles suffer as a consequence.
- No pets or animals are allowed in the Gardens except leashed service dogs.
- Please do not sit on the handrails of bridges, buildings, or trails.
- Except bottled water, food and beverages are allowed in designated picnic area only. Picnic areas are for the general public and cannot be reserved.
- No smoking in the entire Gardens.
- Please be aware that parts of the Bamboo Gardens may be closed seasonally (April-May) to protect new growth. (May 21, 2013 Bamboo Gardens have been reopened)
Wheelchair Access - Because paths and walkways are covered with either fine gravel or rock, the Gardens have limited access for wheelchairs.
Photography: Commercial, formal occasion, and political photography/videography require permits and reservation. Please do not block the garden paths with equipment. .
Buses - Bus access is limited due to the sharp turns and steep grade of the entry road. Buses longer than 30 feet and larger than 24 passengers are not allowed. Parking for buses is available at the base of the drive, on Big Basin Way. Visitors may use the hiking trail (1/4 mile) from Big Basin Way to the Gardens.
Special Hakone Access for Saratoga Residents
On the first Tuesday of January, April, July, and October, Saratoga Residents and their guests are welcome to Hakone on a free admission basis (free parking is included) during regular operating hours. When entering Hakone, Saratoga residents are requested to provide verification (such as a drivers license or electricity bill) showing that they currently reside within the City of Saratoga, Each resident may bring two guests.